We’ve nearly completed all the landscaping projects we had.
The front is 100% completed, and the back is about 90%. All that’s left to do in the back is wait for the tree to come and be planted, and then put in the 2 bushes that we’ve ordered – those will be coming at the same time as the tree. The bushes are going in front of the landing for the stairs coming down from the deck.
The tree and bushes we ordered from www.yourleaf.org – They’re a great organization…
This is all very exciting! It’s been on our project list for the last 2.5 years and we’re very pleased that it’s nearly wrapped up.
Here are some photos for you to enjoy… Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
We never really liked what Primont Homes had done in our family room. They created a bulkhead for the vents, but on the left-side of the fireplace it was about 11″, and on the right-side it was about 27″. It never really made any sense, and it always looked off. In addition, the fireplace was about 24″ deep, and stuck out of the wall like a sore thumb.
For about 2-years Rosalee and I debated what we should do in the family room to make it look more polished. We drew up at least half a dozen ideas, and we finally figured out exactly what we wanted to do. Our initial idea was to build cabinets on both sides of the fireplace, and then bookshelf the other wall. But then we moved the television off the fireplace and put it on a folding table along the other wall. We lived with it there for about 4-months and decided that we liked that layout much better. The TV wasn’t so high, and we were utilizing the floor space better. It also allowed us more room to play Wii!
So we were off to find two things. 1, a person to build what we wanted; and 2, a nicer tv stand than a folding table.
I was in contact with Black Diamond Construction (Facebook fan page) regarding landscaping and patio, and found out that Colin, the owner, also does home renovation projects. We hired him to do the construction, and we couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. He took our vision, and made it happen. The framing and drywall that Primont Homes had done was uneven. Colin had to do a lot of repair and fixing to get the shelving to look right.
Colin built the shelves off-site, brought them in and attached them, then did a lot of framing to make both sides of the wall the same width, then he did the drywall and a ton of plastering to be able to bring the wall on the left-side out to the same depth. Applied the trim, and then painted.
The work kicked up quite a bit of dust, but we’ve since cleaned all that up.
As this was going on, Rosalee and I started the search for the perfect media console. We ended up at The Country Store near Bayview and Eglinton. They have a company they contract in northern Ontario that custom manufactures furniture. We were happy with one of the styles they had in their showroom, and ordered it. They told us 4-6 weeks, and it turned out to take about 12 weeks. Having said that, we’re VERY happy with the unit we ordered.
You might also notice that we removed the ceiling fixture and put in pot-lights. We did that about 16-months ago through Alex Moldings. As well, the 2 chairs in the original photo are now in our living room, and we bought the new chairs from HomeSense. We also took down the paper “blinds” and put up California Shutters from Jeffrey Paul Home Improvement Co. (416.436.3926, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Well, we had our first major snow storm since moving into the house. The forecasters were calling for about 8-10cm on Friday, 15-20cm on Saturday, and another 5-10cm on Sunday.
It snowed Friday night, I shoveled on Saturday. It snowed nearly all day Saturday, and then Rosalee and I shoveled for about an hour on Sunday. We had about 20inches of snow to shovel on Sunday – yes… 20inches! That’s not including what I did on Saturday!
Here’s the evidence.
The last month has been completely chaotic. We’ve taken posession of the new digs, moved, unpacked nearly everything, had a ton of trades come and go, had a bunch of people come in to give us quotes for things that we want done, and whatnot. Pretty crazy if you ask me…
I should have some pictures to post soon…
We went by the house, and noticed that the bricklayers continued their great work. We’re nearly completed with that part of the construction.
Here are some pictures.
Finally. Nearly a month of waiting for the bricks to be put to use.
We almost have 2 full walls completed, and they’ve only been working on it for 2 days. Amazing! At this rate, they should have it finished by the end of the weekend.
Check out the bricks, and tell me what you think.