Well, Apple finally announced the product launch of the Apple iPhone. It’s an iPod, Telephone, and internet communicator all in one. It looks somewhat similar to the Dell Axim, but this is also a telephone!
iWant one of these… it’s the ultimate in geekdom. The phone runs a version of OS X, which means that it would be fairly easy to develop applications for it – similar to WM2005 or WinCE.
So, what’s the problem? I’m in Canada! Yup… Apple finally released a product that’s been speculated about for years, and it’s not going to be available until June, and apparently only being released in the US via Cingular.
What’s the other problem? It’s only being released in a GSM version.
Why is that a problem? I’m with Bell Mobility which is CDMA. You cannot use a GSM phone on a CDMA network. Bell – GET WITH THE TIMES!
So why not switch to Rogers or Fido? I can’t do that because in Canada the CRTC has not made phone number portability possible – yet anyways. Supposedly this is something that will be in place come March 2007. Check out the CRTC press release from December 20, 2005.
So why not switch when the phone is available in Canada as it will be after March 2007? I’m on a corporate plan that I doubt Rogers would be willing to match. The last time I spoke with someone at Rogers, the best they were able to do was $15 more a month than what I’m paying now.
- 4GB ($499 US) or 8GB ($599 US) versions
- 3.5″ screen
- 320×480 @160ppi
- Wifi (802.11b/g)
- Bluetooth 2.0
- 2MP camera w/ video
- sync via iTunes on either Mac or PC
- 4×5″ x 2.4″ x 0.46″ = 115mm x 61mm x 11.6mm
- 4.8oz = 135gr
- playback of music, photos, and video
- rotate the device, and it goes into widescreen – part of the built-in sensors
- calls, voicemail, sms
- Safari, e-Mail, live maping via Google maps, widgets
Fallout since the Apple annoucement
- Cisco announces that the iPhone trademark belongs to them, and is launching a lawsuit against Apple
- The day of the announcement RIM stock dropped $14/share
- Announcement day Apple stock went up 8%
Anyways, check out the iPhone… it’s HOT!